Brexit Frequently Asked Questions

To help provide clarity around the impact of Brexit we have collated the common queries we are being asked into a series of FAQs. You can read the FAQs below or download a pdf version by clicking here.

What has happened post Brexit?

The future trade relationship between the UK and EU from 1st January 2021 has changed. An agreement was reached in December as to the future trading relationship. The agreement covers trade in goods and services, as well as a broad range of other areas. It provides for zero tariffs and zero quotas on all goods that comply with the appropriate rules of origin.

Will I need to pay taxes and duties?

Whilst no duties will be payable, subject to the appropriate rules of origin, taxes are likely to be charged at the point of import into the UK or the EU.  The person or business receiving the shipment is legally obliged to pay the Import taxes in line with the Import tax legislation within their country.

An administration charge may be made by the clearing agent on the import into the UK or the EU.

What is a deferment account and do I need one?

A deferment account is an account authorised by your local customs office through which your payable taxes/duties can be paid directly to the authorities for a certain accounting period on a predetermined due date.  Deferment accounts are not compulsory, but can be cost-effective and help ensure quick customs clearance as duties are paid in full at the time of import.

More information can be found on individual country government websites.

Can you supply Country of Origin information for your products?

Yes, we will supply this information on commercial invoices.

What Incoterms will Palintest trade on after 1st January 2021?

To give the best possible service and flexibility to our customers, we will be shipping using Ex Works Incoterms where you wish to arrange your own carriage, and FCA (Free Carrier) Incoterms where you wish Palintest to arrange carriage.  The guide below shows further details on FCA.

What will the impact of FCA terms be on couriers and delivery?

Our incoterms and logistical arrangements remain unchanged. FCA allows the flexibility for you to arrange to collect goods from our premises, or for us to arrange delivery to you or any delivery address that you require.

Are you registered as an entity within the EU?

We are not registered within the EU. For our CE products we have an Authorised Representative based within the EU. We are being supported by our parent company Halma, who have created an entity for those companies within the group who do not have a current EU based location. The address is:

Halma Europe DS BV, J. Keplerweg 14, 2408AC, Alphen aan Den Rijn, Netherlands

Got another question? Contact us

Have you already in place or plan to have the resources and administration/customs intermediary in place by 31/12/2020 to issue customs declarations and invoices for exporting outside of the UK?

Palintest already ship our products globally and therefore our export shipping team are fully trained and experienced in all aspects of international logistics, additionally we have full support from our freight forwarders and courier company to assist with customs clearance and documentation.

Can you confirm that all products supplied will be correctly labelled and marked under EU Law?

All products supplied will carry the correct certification and labelling to meet EU regulations.

Where can I find CE certificates?

You can find these on our website on the download section of the product page.

Will there be a UK equivalent of the EUR1 form?

There is an assumption that there will be a UK equivalent after 1st January 2021 but there has not been any confirmation yet.  We will update this page as and when we know more.

Will a commercial invoice be required?

Every shipment will need a commercial invoice with information for customs authorities. This helps the authorities assess if the goods can move in or out of a country and what, if any, controls are needed. It also helps the authorities determine duties and taxes. It is vital to supply an invoice with the right information as it reduces the potential for delay.

The Palintest export shipping team are fully trained and experienced in producing commercial invoices where required.

What needs to be included on the commercial invoice?

Our commercial invoice will include the Commodity Code (HS Code), our EORI number, the description of the goods, the value and the country of origin.

What is an HS code and is it important?

The Harmonized System (HS Code) is a list of numbers used to classify a product for tax and duties and any necessary restrictions, and consists of at least 6 digits.  When you have classified your goods, customs authorities all over the world are able to identify the contents of your package.  The system is used by more than 200 countries and covers 98% of traded goods.

You can classify your goods on your country’s Government website.  You can also use an online HS code search – just type in a detailed goods description and you will get your code.  If you don’t include the HS code on the commercial invoice and other shipping documents, it could delay the shipment and you risk the receiver paying the incorrect duties and VAT.

What are the commodity codes (HS codes) for your products?

All products we supply will carry one of the following commodity codes:

  • 3822 0000 00
  • 9027 8020 00
  • 9027 8080 00

What is an EORI number and is it essential?

An Economic Operator Registration and Identification number (EORI) is a European Union requirement for businesses which import or export goods to and from the EU.


Introducing Palintest’s Brand New Lumiso Pool Photometers
read more
Verified As The Best Method For Testing Produce Wash Water
read more
Using Kemio™ Heavy Metals to safeguard drinking water in schools
read more

    To contact our team please fill out the enquiry form below. Please note we aim to respond to all enquiries within 2 working days.

    Explore our content hub